Sunday, March 20, 2011

A Marathon Submission.....

.....NO, it's not going to be a marathon long post, just a post on my reflections of my first ever marathon.

I'm sure for any long distance runner it can be quite difficult to put the physical, pyshcological, or emotional situation into words, so I don't feel so bad that I'm in that same boat.:) First, I'm so grateful that I finished. I knew, as long as nothing really wacky happened I would, but that doesn't make me less grateful. I praise God for not throwing more my way than I could handle......then that got me thinking.....doesn't He always do that? (BTW I RARELY use always or never - pet peeve). BUT (and this is a big BUT) I know with certainty that God will never give me more than I can handle, with this marathon being a prime example. To set the stage for the bigger picture of this blog, let me (as briefly as humanly and humanely possible) recap the marathon experience.

Six months ago I decided, with some reservation, to sign up for the LA Marathon. Many do not know, but this was the 3rd time I registered for a marathon, so I did doubt myself in my conviction for completion in this daunting task. However, I decided with steadfast resolve that this time would be different. It was time to take my destiny into my own hands and not let excuses prevail. Therefore I (mostly) followed a regimented training plan leading up to the race. I even calculated my playlist to pace me, wore the same outfit on my long runs so I'd be ready, and ate/drank the same things I anticipated consuming on race day. I was READY. Then 7 days before the race I looked at the forecast and almost cried. Rain was predicted, which was my second least favorite condition to run in behind wind. Yep, wind and rain were major irritants. Then I read an article about what to do the week of the marathon - the biggest advice? Rest and relax!

I know I'm bloviating a bit, but seriously the situation warrants a little expansion. It just so happens that the week of my race I found out my industry (and job) will never be the same due to the Japan earthquake. While I completely felt (and still do feel) that my industry's woes were insignificant next to what the Japanese were facing, it still did not stop waking up at 1am worrying about what my customers were going to do. So much for rest. And the weather predictions were getting worse by the day - adding wind to the rain forecast! Really?!!?!?!

Race weekend approaches and I KNOW I can complete the race despite some adversity. Yeah, it was going to rain with wind, yeah I didn't get alot of sleep that week, but I knew in the core of my gut that on Sunday I was going to cross that finish line. On race day, on top of the aforementioned issues, it took us 2 hours to get to the race - did I mention we were 4 miles via freeway away? Oh well i I miraculously made it there before the start! Then the rain came.....because it wasn't raining and it looked ok for a bit I decided to ditch my jacket but keep the gloves. 7 miles into the race I was drenched. I had planned for this by giving back-up shoes, socks, a jacket, spare gloves, etc. to my boyfriend just in case and then I could just call him and we could meet up and all would be right with the world.........and then it happened. In all the windy downpour, somehow my iPhone decided that it was going to stick to its "non-waterproof" mantra and give out on me. The issues are too technical but bottom line I lost all communication. At mile 14 on a whim I picked up a foil wrap to keep me warm until I could meet up with Rob - this little piece of wrap saved me from hypothermia and allowed me to finish the race. Why? Because my phone wasn't working I was never able to meet up with Rob. I had no back up. Anyway, long long long story not nearly short enough, in a high wind (yeah me) deluge (I really wish I had video to back up how bad this storm was), I finished the marathon in a sprint! Yes, I was almost 27 minutes behind where I wanted to be but I crossed that finish line! And now, hours later, I feel incredible and amazing and at peace. Which brings me to my thoughts.........

Isn't a marathon much like any major issue we have in life? This marathon has inspired me to tackle one of my personal issues (details not relevant to the entry). When you think about it, aren't most "issues" we have in life a long term commitment in solving? For me personally, I think about my marathon - I did everything right to make this marathon just as I wanted. I lived by example, I overly prepared for the situation, and I KNEW that I would succeed. BUT, I didn't succeed in the time frame I personally wanted. My most relevant questions are why not and who cares? Why not? Well, several circumstances outside my control may have caused a little slowing AND perhaps I could have tried just a little harder in certain situations. And I really need to have a back up plan so I don't freeze. Why my second question? Because in the scheme of things life's issues are all about overcoming and succeeding, not a timeline on when they will happen. So if it takes me a little longer to accomplish, especially when taking the outside influences, then that's ok with me. And as I said before, God would NEVER give me more than I can handle.

And so was how I did in the marathon........ok with me and enough for me to handle. :)

Run on, Live on.....
XOXO
Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment