Thursday, January 21, 2010

Niches........

This week I was asked not once, but TWICE, what my niche is. The first person to ask me was my culinary instructor, Cecilia. We were talking about what I would most enjoy doing after I finish culinary school. I told her about catering, but she persisted with more questions - like if I could do ANYTHING with my new-found knowledge......what would it be? After a little thought, I told her that I think I would love to teach others to cook. She thought that sounded like a great idea (a sigh of relief came over me....phew). THEN the other shoe dropped - she asked what exactly would I like to teach? What would be my specialty, my niche? I probably looked like a dear in the headlights b/c I no idea what my niche in cooking is or what it should be. She said I really should try to figure that out and start honing those skills. I have hardly slept since that conversation 3 days ago.

The second person to ask me this question was the VP at my day job after my year-end review yesterday. My boss, my VP, and I went over last year's progress and this year's goals. They were pleased with my performance and were talking about how I can reach the goals I set for myself this year. Review over...time for lunch - woohoo! Free lunch! Not so fast - there's no such thing as a free lunch - more business talk ensued. My VP casually asked me what I thought my niche in sales was. Huh? Again, dear in the headlights. Over the last 2 years at this job I just do what I think I'm supposed to and business happens. Yeah me. It never crossed my mind to think about what part of it was my favorite or where I excelled. So I just answered on what part I liked the most (hoping liking and niche could be close to the same thing).

Honestly, both have me stumped. And now I'm in over-analyzing mode. And I'm entering that phase of delving into what I'm not good at in order to hopefully weed out those pesky niches. Dang those niches! And the scariest part? What if I'm decent at several things but have no "niche" where I'm great at something? Maybe average multitasking IS my niche?

Oh well. It's January 2010 and I now have another resolution! Find my niche!

No comments:

Post a Comment