Monday, August 17, 2009

Birthdays and the Big Picture

Today is my birthday. I LOVE my birthday. Thirty three years ago I joined the human population and have evolved many times over since then. I like to look back at the good, at the present good, and at the future good. Yep - today I'm ignoring any of my own character flaws or improvements I need to make. Today is ALL good.

One thing I can say about this birthday is that I like who I am, what I am, and what I'm not more than I have in a really long time. This past year (actually 2) has given me more wisdom about who I really am deep down. I like that I'm goofy, witty, and creative. I like that my brain thinks tangently random. I like that I am a genuinely happy person who likes most people. I like that I'm less selfish than I used to be. I like that I mostly like to play by the rules but not always. I like that I exercise regularly yet sporadically sometimes. I like that I love to cook and finally am doing more of it. I like that I'm on Facebook and have reconnected with so many amazing people from my past. I like that I have ugly feet with pretty nail polish on my toenails. I like that I get so excited about the little things in life. I like that I like to write, even if it's not a ton at a time. I like that I'm not afraid of that much - whether it be a tackling a new hobby, change in general, getting older, work, others not liking me.....none of those really scare me anymore. I like that I like to pay it forward. And I like that when you meet me, what you see is what you get.

While I'm on the subject of birthdays, I just want to interject something. NO ONE should ever be sad on their birthday. Especially about getting older......why? Because it is an exercise of (or in...not sure) futility to be sad about getting older. 100% of the people on this planet (and the animals and the plants and the bugs) age. There is not one single solitary thing you can do so why in the heck worry about it or be sad about it? Seriously.....you are officially older right this second as you read this sentence than you were when you started reading this blog. To me, I don't think about getting older that much. I don't really think about time too much. It makes me chuckle when people say "Can you believe it's already August?" Why yes.....yes I do believe it's already August. It happens 31 days after the beginning of July - time happens!!!! Not so profound. And no one should choose their birthday to reflect on the nots and the bads....let that be on another day - like New Year's Day when you are working on resolutions. Don't do it on the day your parents brought you into the world!!! It's a dishonor to them - they brought you here with endless possibilities! And for me (and for you the reader) life is still full of those possibilities. I think we all have taken advantage of many of these and are so lucky to have experienced so much! At 33, I look back and think about what a rich life I've lead thus far and how I can't wait to fill up the next 33 then the next 33. I have the biggest grin on my face as I type this.

To my mom and dad.......thanks for having me. Y'all did a great job raising me, and I loved my childhood. Thank you for providing me with love, discipline, hope, opportunity, faith, and laughter. I still remember y'all telling me the story of how dad made ribs and mom was eating them - full blown preggers - when Nadia scored the first ever perfect 10 at the Olympics - I was born a few days later. Not sure why I just shared this story - it just popped into my head. But that could explain why I love ribs so much!

Anyway, so far my birthday has been perfect. Some of you reading may think I'm crazy or perhaps self-involved.......what can I say - I think we should all take 1 little day to think that we totally kick ass - there are 365 days a year - it won't hurt for just one day! For those of you with a birthday coming up, I highly encourage you to reflect on what you love about yourself, what you have done so far, what you want to do......birthdays are all about YOU. Or in this case today.....all about ME. ;-)

XOXO~
33 and Fancy Free

No comments:

Post a Comment